Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Responsive fonts with vh and vw

Working on site I was trying out responsive fonts and set the font-size to 5vh.

When I squeezed in the sides the font size didn’t change. When I turned on Firebug or Chrome’s developer tools the font shrunk.

I discovered what I needed was “vw” and not “vh”. “W” stands for width, and “H” is for height.

I hope this helps someone else out there….

 

Accessibility enhancements in Firefox

Recently attended a Drupal Camp and took a accessibility seminar presented by a guy name Charlie Cook with the National Federation of the Blind. He suggested making some changes in Firefox to make it easier to see where the “focus” is on a page.

I had trouble get the settings set up the way he described it, but I finally figured it out. Here are the steps I needed.

  1. Open Firefox ( my current version is 40).
  2. In the URL bar type in “about:config”
  3. Scroll down to “browser.display.background_color”
  4. Double-Click that line and you can enter in a new Hexidecimal color value. He suggested “#ffbbff”.

Here are the other settings he suggested to change.

  • browser.display.focus_ring_on_anything        –     change to “true”
  • browser.display.focus_ring_width                     –     change to “3”
  • browser.display.focus_text_color                       –     change to “#000000”
  • browser.display.use_focus_colors                       –     change to “true”

I hope this helps someone else out there….

 

Microsoft Outlook has stopped working – Eblast Email

We got some calls about issue today. Customers Outlook would crash and restart when clicking on an email with images. Email was working on November 10, 2015. Now on November 11, 2015 it is crashing. One customer mentioned the machine did a bunch of updates the night before.

I looked at the lastest installed Microsoft updates. There were a bunch on 11-11-2015. I started uninstalling any related directly to Outlook. In one case this customer was using Outlook 2010. There were several:

  • kb3085560
  • kb2553305

None of these fixed the issue. There were around 15 more updates specifically related to Office. I didn’t get into uninstalling these one at a time, because it was taking about 5 minutes per update. It wouldn’t let me group remove the updates.

I was unable to resolve the issue, but I got 3 calls about the same thing. Hoping Microsoft discovers the error and fixes this in there next set of patches.

 

I hope this helps someone else out there….