Saturday, December 07, 2019

Joomla 3.8 – Error You are not authorised to view this resource.

I got this error because the menu item was set to guest and after a user logged in the error would show.

The reason the menu item was set to guest is because I was using it for a login button. The other menu item was “logout”. When the user logged in it showed and the “login” was unpublished .

I set the user to “Publisher” and “Public” and I redirected the login on the menu item to a “How to update your site” page.

I hope this helps someone else out there…

 

ChronoForms – 1146 Table ‘XXXXXXXXX.#__chronoengine_forms6_blocks’ doesn’t exist

I moved a Joomla 3.8 site with Chronoforms 6 and I got this error:

 1146 Table 'XXXXXXXXX.#__chronoengine_forms6_blocks' doesn't exist

I quickly found this post.

https://www.chronoengine.com/forums/posts/t104239/1146-table-xxxxxxxxx-chronoengine-forms6-blocks-doesnt-exist

I backed up the form. Uninstalled the Chronoforms6 component and plugin. Downloaded the latest versions and restored the form. After that everything worked fine.

I hope this helps someone else out there…

 

pdffactory an error occurred in windows (MAPISendMail failed).

This error looked like this.

This error was fixed by going to the following path and renaming “MSMAPI32.DLL” to “MSMAPI32.old”. After that the program worked normally. The path the DLL on Windows 10 is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\system\MSMAPI\1033”.

UPDATE: 6-13-2019

Had a similar issue with the same customer here were getting the no default mail program. The issue started when Office 2019 was installed while Office 2010 was still installed. When 2010 got removed is when we got this issue. Going into the Control Panel >> Programs and Features. Select the Office install and hit “change”, but select “Repair”. We did the quick repair and this didn’t seem to fix the issue; however, after a restart everything was working the way it should.

The next computer got the “MSMAPI” error again. I went into the control panel and ran a quick repair on the Office install, but this didn’t fix the issue. What fixed the issue was making sure Outlook was the default program and the .eml extension was set to Outlook.

I hope this helps someone else out there….