When a site gets moved the old indexed URLs lead to users linking to your site through their search may link to a page that no longer exists. Using Google’s Webmaster Tools you can eliminate old URLs, but in the mean time you can pretty quickly create your own 404 page not found error page. The article below is a great resource.
The basics are:
- Create an uncategorized article that is the 404 page. Dress it up any way you like.
- Create a menu link to the 404 page and set it to be unpublished. Copy the URL of this page to be used later.
- Copy the “error.php” file from the “Templates/system” directory and paste it in the root of the template your are using.
- Edit this file and delete out everything after the “or DIE” statement.
- Add the PHP redirect code in the article.
I hope this helps someone else out there…