Had a couple of users that were getting this error:
“Sorry, we’re having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook”
They use an Exchange server. This was solved by rebuilding the Outlook profile. Here were the steps.
- Go into the control panel >> mail >> show profiles.
- Add a new profile, and click next. It should find the users credentials from the exchange server
- Check “Prompt for a profile to be used.”
- Restart Outlook and select the new profile.
- Then go back to the control panel >> Mail >> Show Profile and select “Always use this profile. Use the dropdown and select the new profile. Hit apply.
- You may need to restart outlook a few times for everything to work properly. At the bottom of Outlook will see outlook adding the emails back into this new profile.
- When everything is working you can delete the old profile.