SEO – URL Character Count Limit

I would assume that it is not unlimited, but I haven’t actually set a standard for myself for this piece like I have for the Title and Description. I realized today there absolutely a limit and the number is “70” characters. This includeswww“, “the domain name“, possibly a “category“, and then the page URL with the file extension such as “.html”.

On a page I had lengthy URL, but it got worse when the category and domain name was included. Here is an example of what I had.

www.domain.com/services/all-the-services-we-perform-in-one-super-long-line.html

Google has this url indexed as….

www.domain.com/services/all-the-services-we-perform-in-one-super-lo…

If I wanted the word “line” to be important it was being cut off. When considering your page url or slug make sure to include the full path.

I hope this helps someone else out there…

Redirect Website Using .HTAccess

While building a new site I set up a new hosting account to gain access to PHP 7, because the old hosting package didn’t upgrade past PHP 5.6. Once everything was close I wanted to set up the new hosting so the main site and each sub-domain is in a separate directory making it easy to maintain.

I was told by Godaddy to we could either create an add-on domain or handle the redirection with .HTAcess file. I have messed with these through the years and they are very powerful. I found this very nice write up on some simple ways to use this and thought I would share it or a least post it so I can find it again.

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/grid/204643080/how-do-i-redirect-my-site-using-a-htaccess-file

I hope this helps someone else out there…

Adding Emma to SPF Record

We got asked to help with a SPF record to be added because the client is starting to use My Emma for email marketing.

The client is using Office 365 for email and a Godaddy reseller account for their domain. I logged into their reseller account. Went to Domains and clicked on “DNS Zone File”.  Clicked on the pen and paper icon to edit this record.

Here was the original setting:

v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

I changed it to: ;

v=spf1 a mx include:e2ma.net include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

I hope this helps someone else out there…