I had a working Chronoforms 5 form that I just changed a few dates and suddenly stopped working. I tried debugging the form; however, the form wasn’t submitting to the next page for the debugger to even show me the variables. I found my answer here.
In the Form go the “Set up” tab. In the “on load” section you will have a “HTML (Render Form)” action. Edit this and toward the bottom you will see “Relative URL“, set this to “No“. It has something to do with SEO options.
I often start SEO from an existing website. Here are steps I always perform when starting the task.
Start an Excel spreadsheet with 9 columns
Page/article, Current URL, Current Title,Current Description, New URL, New Title, New Description, and Notes
Then I go to Google and in the search box itself you type: site:thedomain Then hit enter.
This will bring back the pages that Google has indexed. This will be critical to know so can later remove old URLs in Google’s Webmaster Tools, recrawl the site, and be up-to-date. This part can take a while so you have to consider this could double your time spent on the job, so be prepared to bill for it or you will be sorry.
In Joomla you will need to set up the URL to be Search Engine Friendly. In the Administrator area go to Global Configuration >> Site >> Search Engine Friendly URLs ( turn this on), Use URL Rewriting ( turn this on). These changes will require you to change your htaccess.txt and change it to .htaccess. I don’t have it set to “yes” in my image below, but turning on “Add Suffix to URL” will give the page the “.html” at the end.
I prefer to do a lot of the rest in the menu item. The “Browser Page Title” and the “Alias” is where item #2 from the above image will show.
Staying in the Menu item I move over to the “Metadata” section to add my “Description”. This is part #3 in the upper image.
Here I would rework my Excel spread sheet my making sure my new titles are less than “54” characters long and the description is less that 134 characters long. The name of the page should include the service or search term you want to use for that page. I use Wordcounter.net to determine how many characters I have in my new titles and descriptions.
Next go into Google Webmaster Tools and remove the old URL’s that you won’t need anymore. Click the “Temporary Hide” button, put in the URL, and Google will do the rest.
I don’t always add Sitemaps, but here is where you can do this in Google’s Webmaster Tools.
I meet with NOVA JUG recently and the presenter Dorothy had a bunch to offer. Some of the plug-ins she mentioned.
Listing a business with Google is a no-brainer. Google is such a one-stop-shop for looking something up. Of course you always want your business listing a close to the top a possible, so making sure you have your Google listing as complete as possible is to get some reviews.
I have some customers that are low-tech, but want to use tech to get more business. I wanted to make it as easy as possible for a customer to be able to solicit their customers to leave a review. The customer did more landscape work; however, the business listing was under “construction”. Searching for a landscaper in his area wasn’t yeilding results. This is relevant in case he wanted to tell the customer to look him up and review him.
I found this great article about creating a tinyURL that will link the customer right to the screen they will need to review that business.
At first I thought I was going to get a bunch of photography business when I saw I got 149 visits in the past month to my photography website. I went to analyze the traffic and saw the following in the language section of my dashboard.
I looked at GEO location, and saw this.
Here are the channels for the month.
Interesting part was there were 0 queries for the month.
Wierd, but I think diffinely a Russian attack on my site leading to bad usage of my website.
I hope this entertained someone else out there…
Comment if you had the same thing happen to your site.
hope While working on our Analytics today I realized Google hasn’t crawled one page in a couple of years. I changed the description in the spring of 2015 and in the Fall of 2016 Google’s index still shows the old data.
I did what I could with the Robots.txt file and adding a new sitemap.xml. Just to make sure I wanted Google to crawl my site again. I did a fetch and render on the one page. In the meantime I went looking for what others are doing .
I came across this video. It is simple and easy. Not sure exactly how affective yet, but a good place to start.
He also schooled me on CDN (content delivery network) – for distributing your images across different servers around the world so when your site is accessed from someone far away they will be pulling the images from a server that is closer to them.