Address Book in Outlook not showing up

Needed to add the company address book from Exchange to a users Outlook 2013.

  • Go to File >> Account Settings   >> Address Books
  • Click New in the upper left.
  • We need to select “Internet Directory Services (LDAP), and hit Next.
  • Enter the server name. We got this information by clicking Change on the Account Setting page before enter the address book area, and the server address was listed there.
  • Click okay and restart Outlook.

I hope this helps someone else out there….

Windows 7 reset local admin password

Another tech helped me change the local admin password to add a machine back onto the domain. He went to the following site.

Downloaded the file and created a bootable USB drive and reset the local admin password. More details to come.

Here is a link that helped me burn the ISO in Windows 7 to CD or DVD.





Connecting to a share drive using Workgroup over domain

I am struggling with mapping a network drive between a file server and a work station. The following link looks good.

I was told the user names must match on the server and the workstation.

In the above article they use the following commands written into a batch file that is added to the startup menu.

net use l: \\tfcoop\users\Chris’s Documents” /USER:server_account_name the_password


I will let you know how it goes.

I made the user name and password the same on the file server and the workstation. On the workstation I used the credential manager and added a new location. For the user name I used “file_server_name\user_name”.

Windows 8.1 – icons are showing up as squares.

We had the issue on a recent install of Windows 8.1. It wasn’t my machine so don’t know all the details but I used the following link which fixed the issue right-a-way.

It came down to a corrupt font. This may have happened when Adobe Creative Suite 6 got install, but I don’t know that for a fact.

I downloaded the zip file from the link above. Extracted it’s contents and moved the font from the Windows 8.1 folder and put it into the Windows/Fonts folder. It overwrote the old one. When I restarted the machine the issue was completely resolved.

I hope this helps anyone else out there….

Word giving “You are attempting to save a file type ” error.

The whole error is:

“You are attempting to save a file type (Word 2007 and later Documents and Templates) that has been blocked by your File Block setting in the Trust Center.”


Follow the instructions by clicking on File >> Options >> Trust Center  >> Trust Center Settings, and finally “File Block Settings in the left hand menu.

Uncheck all the rules blocking a Word document from opening.


I hope this helps someone else out there.


Domain name scam from

One of our customers received an email to renew her domain name. Everything looked legit except our records show the name was with Godaddy and was good for another year. I contacted Godaddy to verify and indeed the domain was good for another year and registered through Godaddy.


I hope this helps someone else out there….


upload a .pst into office 365 online

  1. Purchased new microsoft 365 account
  2. Set up outlook on a machine and downloaded all the Godaddy emails.
  3. Exported downloaded emails and exported to a .pst
  4. Downloaded Azure and used their command lines to upload the file.
  5. Created a user mapping file
  6. In 365 at the bottom go to Admin. I went through the steps in the link below of adding “Mailbox Import Export” Role and adding the right “member”
  7. I used the video down below to set up the users original “” email address. I had to add some txt records, cname, and mx records.
    old exhchange settings
  8. Back in the admin section of 365 I went to “Import” in the left side menu. I created a new “upload over network”. This is where the Azure step comes back in. You’ll link back to the .pst in this step. You will also need your mapping file.


This link was a great way to use the existing email address and port it to the “” email address.


Windows 7 updates failed – How to fix this

We recently had to reload a couple of Windows 7 machines, and when running the Windows updates they weren’t installing.

We fixed this by running the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

I ran the troubleshooter 3 times before it fixed all the errors it found.

Had this issue again. Here are some things to look for.

  1. Make sure Windows is activated.
  2. In the run window type in “msconfig”. You will need administrative permissions.
    Check “Hide all Microsoft services”. Hit “Disable all”. It will ask you to restart. Do not restart. You will need to restart these when your done.
  3. In “Services” make sure “Windows Update” and “Background Intelligence” is started.

This link lead us to the fix that repaired the second machine.

A couple of other techs I worked with discovered the first couple of Windows 7 updates need to be installed manually. After that the rest of the updates worked the way they should. They found the information here.


One of our techs has used this solution. This one helped when it wasn’t a fresh install.

Download the latest .ZIP package, and use the documentation to complete the task.

I hope this helps someone else out there…