Got a call from a client about website not coming up. If you searched for the site in a search engine and clicked on any link to the site you got a page about a missing PHP file. This site is a static HTML site.
I opened the .htaccess file and saw redirects to the PHP file that didn’t exist. I cleared out the .htaccess file and when you click on the search link the site came up fine.
I contacted Godaddy looking for help, but they don’t deal with .htaccess files. You are on your own. They do offer SiteLock to protect the site.
I used the following links advice and to change the name of the .htaccess file and the contents of the file rewrite the name back to all lower case.
My final .htaccess file containted the following
<Files ~"^.*\.([Hh][Tt][Aa])"> order allow,deny deny from all satisfy all </Files>
In addition, i changed the password for the FTP access. Next step is to use Sucuri. I know they can protect this site.
I hope this helps me and helps someone else out there…