Joomla email not showing up correctly.

I recently upgraded a 1.5 site to 3 something. Shortly after getting the extensions I needed I realized the email addresses were showing javaScript before the email link.

‘); document.write(addy837); document.write(‘<\/a>’); //–>\n “>the email address.

I found a thread about turning off email cloaking.

1. Login as Joomla Administrator
2. Extentions – > Plugin Manager
3. Check the plugin “Content – Email Cloaking” and click Disable

This issue stemmed from “System – AntiCopy” plugin that was installed. I needed the plug-in so the cloaking had to be disabled.

Joomla 1.5 trojan Dropper.Generic_c.PTZ

While installing a joomla 1.5 site locally AVG popped up with a virus found.
trojan_dropper

It appears to be a “.gif” that is wrapped or renamed. It caused the website to not save content when it was being added or updated.

I found the file in the root of the Joomla install and also in the /images folder. It looked like this.

Solution: AVG quarantined the tojan and I upgraded the Joomla install to version 3.

I found more info on the virus here.
http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=212215

 

Recapcha not showing up in Joomla 2.5

Had a 2.5.8 site where the integrated Capcha stopped working. Tried some things that others suggested, but nothing worked.

  1. Changed a line of code in the Recapcha php file as suggested in the Joomla Forum. Didn’t do anything.
  2. Regenerated new keys. Didn’t do a thing.

I got it fixed by updated my Joomla core install from 2.5.8 to 2.5.11 and the capcha was working again.

jupgrade Migrating undefined

Recently ran into a jupgrade issue moving from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5. Everything was going fine till I reached migrating menus, just after migrating categories, then migrating content.
migrating_categories

jupgrade_migrating_undefined

 

I was able to get through by skipping menus in the core skips found in the options of jUpgrade. I had “skip banners” checked as well but that wasn’t the issue. I went back and did the experiment a couple of times. I even deleted certain menu item at first, and then whole menus. I had no menus at all and it still failed.

jupgrade_migrating_fix

This skipped the menus, but it was too hard to rebuild the database and migrate the menus over manually. Joomla 2.5 dropped the sections and only has subcategories.

Admintools to the rescue. I had an old download of admintools for Joomla 1.5. Installed this. Go to “Components >> admintools”.  Click on “Database Collation”, and “apply”.  Go back and run jUpgrade again. It should work.

Here are links to the components I used.

Admintools

jUpgrade

SEO & SEF Titles in Joomla 2.5

When using Analytics or something similar to see what pages are getting viewed Joomla needs to be tweaked. On Linux hosting here are the steps.

  1. Rename the htaccess.txt file on the server to .htaccess
  2. In the Admin section of Joomla go to Global Configuration
  3. Under Site >> SEO Settings >> Check yes to the following:
    Search Engine Friendly URLs
    Use URL rewriting

 

ip:184.154.224.12 joomla in my Google Analytics organtic search traffic.

Today I noticed “ip:184.154.224.12 joomla” as a organic keyword search in my google analytics account. Here is what i did next.

      1. Put the whole “ip:184.154.224.12 joomla” in the url bar and hit enter. The browser didn’t recognize the “ip:” part. When I deleted it and hit enter again. This didn’t get me much.

I googled “ip:184.154.224.12 joomla”. The top result led me to

http://sameid.net/ip/184.154.224.12/3/

      . Here I was looking for my site but saw a customers site. I verified the analytics number and they matched.


The site shows how the others sites are built. I could easy see other Joomla and WordPress sites. Curious if this info is used by hackers to go after these types of sites.

I found another customer’s site.

 

Joomla 2.5 – Virtuemart – Failed to retrieve the Currency Converter XML document error

After upgrading a Joomla 1.5 site to a 2.5 site I would get “Failed to retrieve the Currency Converter XML document” on the shipping method page. I found the fix here.

https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=74205.0

  1. FTP’ed to the clients host and downloaded the following file.
    administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/currency/convertECB.php
  2. Opened it in dreamweaver and edited line 57.

    var $document_address = ‘http://www.ecb.int/stats/eurofxref/eurofxref-daily.xml’;

    to be

    var $document_address = ‘http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/eurofxref/eurofxref-daily.xml’;

After that I didn’t get the error.

 

URL for PHPmyadmin after installing on Ubuntu.

Working on a Ubuntu install in VMware I installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL. Installed PHPmyadmin, but couldn’t get to it using “localhost/phpmyadmin”. Found this link and it helped me.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19127/how-to-access-phpmyadmin-after-installation

In a teminal window type “sudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf”. Add this line “Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf” somewhere in the apache2.conf file. Restart apache. I needed to use sudo, so I typed this “sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart”

Moving a virtual box vm to another machine

I rebuilt a windows machine and wanted a Virtual Box virtual machine using Ubuntu. Guest additions was already installed and the Ubuntu was getting setup nicely. I was able to simply move the VM’s from one machine to the other with just a USB hard drive.

Copy the VM folders from VirtualBox VMs folder in the user’s home directory. If your windows machine is named bob then the path would be c:\Users\bob\VirtualBox VMs.

Install Virtualbox on the new machine. Start virtualbox and select add from the top menu. Navigate to the folder with your desired vm. Click through the folders till you get the .vhd file, and that’s it.